Girlfriend lied, Talbot trial told: Former Degrassi actor on trial for murder

Girlfriend lied, Talbot trial told
Former Degrassi actor on trial for murder: Friend of dead man demonstrates `stomp’


The girlfriend of former Degrassi Junior High television actor Tyson Talbot lied repeatedly to police investigating the beating death of a man in the Riverdale neighbourhood, court heard.

“I was just scared,” Kelly Hogue told Talbot’s second-degree murder trial Friday. “I didn’t know what to do.”

Crown Attorney John Scutt pressed the mother of three about why she continually lied about Talbot’s whereabouts after Christopher Shelton, 23, was fatally attacked outside a restaurant at Gerrard St. E. and Broadview Ave. around 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 30, 2002.

“I didn’t know the law,” Hogue testified, then began to sob.

Shelton’s close friend, Trevor Mitchell, 23, said he was shocked when Talbot, 32, punched Shelton in the face when Shelton wasn’t looking.

Mitchell said he worried his friend was seriously hurt and tried to hail a cab for him.

“That’s when Talbot came over to him and violently, savagely, stomped on his head, when he wasn’t even moving,” Mitchell said.

Crown Attorney Hugh Craig asked Mitchell to demonstrate how Talbot stomped on the head.

Mitchell rose from the witness box and pounded his foot loudly on the floor. Some of the dozen members of Shelton’s family and their supporters dropped their heads . As Shelton lay motionless on the pavement, Mitchell said, Talbot spoke in a loud “preaching” manner, bragging about how he had knocked Shelton out with just one punch.

Mitchell said Talbot shouted, “One-hit knockout, you white little bitch. What are you going to do?”

Shelton was pronounced dead in St. Michael’s Hospital later that day.

Mitchell dismissed suggestions by defence lawyer Sid Freeman that he wanted to move his friend from the scene before police or ambulance staff arrived. “Why would I move him away from medical help?” Mitchell asked.

He also dismissed Freeman’s suggestion that he was unco-operative with police at the hospital the day his friend died, even though he declined to sign his police statement there.

“I was always taught not to sign anything without thinking about it, and when I was at the hospital, I was traumatized,” he said.

The trial continues today.


Comments are closed.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s